Technical Operations Manager
Our Technical Operations Department is an integral part of the business, with its overriding function being to turn sales orders into profitable manufacturing output.
As Technical Operations Manager, you will report directly to the Manufacturing Director.
You will need to use your technical competence, as an experienced and capable production engineer, together with your organisation, people, and project management skills, to manage and coordinate the team. You will be overseeing the quoting and processing activity, our tool management / pre-setting function, as well as our highly skilled production engineering team, to ensuring the quoted cost, Bill Of Materials and engineering of components is fully reviewed, leading to the efficient and profitable manufacture of a wide range of components.
As a manager within the business, you will need to establish strong relationships with the sales and on-site manufacturing teams, as well as our Design and Quality engineers, demonstrating a credible, authoritative approach, prepared to challenge and drive for process optimisation and continuous improvement.
- Understanding and interpreting engineering designs and technical drawings, including a good understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Comprehensive review of intent component parts for tolerances and suitability for manufacture whilst understanding manufacturing process times for costing purposes.
- Overseeing and reviewing the quoting process.
- Ensuring the BOM / Works Instructions leaving the department are accurate and meaningful.
- Support the creation of suitable CNC programs, using Open Mind hyperMILL software, for the efficient manufacture of a wide range of complex components.
- Advise and contribute to the specification of the most appropriate cutting tools ensuring efficient material removal rates.
- Oversee the design of production intent manufacturing fixtures.
- Manage the development of the tool pre-setting / fixture management function.
- Support the development of the tool library within hyperMill as the business looks to develop towards “automation” for roughing in terms of programming within hyperMill.
- Provide support and direction to the wider manufacturing team as required.
- Deliver results despite challenging situations.
- Liaise with suppliers, customers, production and design teams to ensure the economic and efficient manufacture of components.
- Work with sales dept to offer technical expertise as required.
- Focus on the business KPIs to achieve departmental objectives.
- A person with a “can do” approach in a highly complex and dynamic environment.
- Experienced manager of technical people / process.
- Sets and expects high standards and quality of output.
- You have HNC or BSc in engineering and will have proven experience as a competent production engineer within a busy manufacturing environment.
- Experience of CNC machining, up to and including 5 axis milling would prove an advantage.
- A good understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience of CAD/CAM software packages.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and able to influence key stakeholders.
- A great place to work where performance, engineering and technology amalgamate.
- Competitive salary.
- 32 days annual leave (including bank holidays).
- Company pension scheme.
- Critical Illness and medical cash back scheme.
- Death in Service cover.
- On-site Gym facility.
- Free on-site parking.
- Regular social and team events.
Interested? Then please contact us with your CV by email to firstname.lastname@example.orgBack to Careers